Wednesday, September 14, 2011

4 hours too long...

Today was the kid's first full day of 'workshop'.  We homeschool 5 days a week and on Wednesdays, for 4 hours, the kids have an enrichment workshop with other homeschoolers.  At 10am I dropped the kids off.  I watched every minute click by on the clock until finally at 2pm the waiting was over.  That was the longest anyone other than my Mom had watched the kids.  I literally felt sick the entire time.  I have a whole new respect for mom's that have to go back to work after having kids.  I'm not looking forward to next Wednesday.

Dinner on the other hand was a big success tonight!  I made Porcupine Bites.  What are porcupine bites?  Well, when we started eating clean I didn't want to 'give up' our favorite meals so instead I found ways to make them 'clean'.  On of my favorite meals is meatballs.  I LOVE meatballs.  Considering the word MEAT is actually in the title they don't really fit a vegan lifestyle anymore.  So I did some thinking last night when I couldn't sleep (yes, I was worried about sending my kids away for 4 hours.  I know I need to get over it.  It will happen.  SLOWLY).  I used to love making porcupine meatballs.  For some reason adding rice into meatballs just made them so fun!  When you mash up lentils they make a great binder and work well as a substitute for meat.  I added in rice, some sauteed carrots and onions and a few other ingredients.  Rolled them into a ball.  Baked them in the oven and drooled until they were done.  They smelled so good.  Even Cliff came downstairs and asked what smelled so yummy.

They are definitely going on the repeat list.  Plus it makes 48 bites so I have a bunch leftover that will be used for lunches this week.  I love multipurpose meals!

Tomorrow I'm making Pierogis.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment